PCR past banners
La Floridiana by Will Moriaty
   Now in our fifth calendar year
    PCR #232  (Vol. 5, No. 36)  This edition is for the week of August 30--September 5, 2004.

LA FLORIDIANA
What’s In A Name? A Look at the Origin of Names of Florida’s Towns and Counties H to I
 by Will Moriaty
THIS WEEK'S MOVIE REVIEW
"Open Water"
 by Mike Smith
ODDSERVATIONS
The Dr. Paul Bearer Database: The Story Behind Its Creation
 by Andy Lalino
SPLASH PAGE
Tampa Comic & Toy Convention, Part 2
  by Vinnie Blesi
MIKE'S RANT
Where's Linda?....Jesus Christ, It's Superman!....The Final Frontier....Get Well Soon....Passing On....Are You F*cking Kidding Me?....Kobe And Kash....Meet The Beatles, Part 32
 by Mike Smith
Archives of Nolan's Pop Culture Review
Archives 2004
Archives 2003
Archives 2002
Archives 2001
Archives 2000
Email PCR
Home
What’s In A Name? A Look at the Origin of Names of Florida’s Towns and Counties H to I

"La Floridiana" continues its tireless mission to provide to you, our valued reader, just what those Florida town and county names mean...

HAINES CITY (Town of): Located in Polk County, this site was originally known as Clay Cut when it was created around 1883 with the building of the South Florida Railroad. In order for the settlers to land a railroad station, the name of the settlement was changed to Haines City in honor of railroad official Colonel Henry Haines. Due to its location along the Florida Ridge, Haines City billed itself as “The Gateway to the Highlands”.

HALLENDALE (Town of): Located in Broward County, the intent of the name was to call it Hollandale since its original settlers were primarily from Holland. Somewhere and somehow the first vowel was changed and the town now has its current spelling.

HAMILTON (County of): The fifteenth county was established on December 26, 1827 and named after Alexander Hamilton the first U.S. Secretary of the Treasury.

HARDEE (County of): The fifty-fifth county was established on April 23, 1021 and named for Cary A. Hardee, Governor of Florida from 1921 to 1925.

HAVANA (Town of): In “Crackerspeak” pronounced “HAY-VAN-AH”, the town was named in honor of the cultivation of Cuban tobacco, which began in this country as early as 1829. Havana is located in Gadsden County.

HAVERHILL (Town of): A man named this Palm Beach County town after his home state’s Haverhill, north of Boston.

HENDRY (County of): Established May 11, 1923, Florida’s sixty-third county was named after Captain Francis Asbury Hendry, an early settler in this region.

HERNANDO (County and Town of): Named for Hernando de Soto, the Spanish explorer who in his Florida travels, established a settlement on Lake Tsala Apopka in Citrus County, which would become his town’s namesake. Hernando was also Florida’s twenty-second county established on February 23, 1843. Brooksville is the county seat.

HIALEAH (Town of): Located in Miami-Dade County, the name is of Seminole-Creek origin meaning “pretty prairie”. A Missouri rancher named James H. Bright originally settled it in 1910. In 1917, famed aviator Glenn H. Curtiss of Jamestown New York collaborated with Bright in the building of this town on the banks of the Miami River. The town was incorporated in 1925.

HIGHLANDS (County of): The fifty-sixth county was established on April 23, 1921 and named to reflect the hilliness of the area located in the Florida’s Ridge.

HIGH SPRINGS (Town of): Located in Alachua County, this town was originally known as Sanaffee, a corruption of the name of the Santa Fe River, near which it is located. Its name was then changed to Orion, and finally to High Springs in 1889 because of a spring located atop a hill within the town. The spring has since disappeared.

HILLSBOROUGH (County of): Florida’s eighteenth county was established on January 25, 1834 and named for Wills Hill, second Viscount Hillsborough (1718-93) who received a large grant of Florida land during the English occupation (1763-83). Tampa is the county seat.

HOLLYWOOD (Town of): Located in Broward County, and established in 1921, founder Joseph W. Young of California had visions of his originally titled town Hollywood-by –the-Sea being a movie-making colony similar to the one in his native state.

HOLMES (County of): The twenty-seventh county was established on January 8, 1848 and named after North Carolina settler Thomas J. Holmes. Another theory is that the county may have been named for an Indian chief who had been given the English name of Holmes.

HOMESTEAD (Town of): Locate in Miami-Dade County, in the 1890’s this area was known as “the Homestead Country” because the pineland was U.S. Government owned and subject to homestead entry. When the Florida East Coast Railway stretched its rails down from Miami in 1914, the abbreviated designation “Homestead” was tacked to the freight car used as a station.

HOMOSASSA (Town of): Located in Citrus County, it is an Indian name meaning “place of pepper trees”.

HOWEY-IN-THE-HILLS (Town of): Located in Lake County, the town was incorporated in 1926 and named for its founder W.J. Howey.

HYPOLUXO (Town of): Located in Palm Beach County, the name is Seminole-Creek for “round mound”, referring to an old shell mound nearby.

INDIATLANTIC (Town of): Located in Brevard County, this boomtown of 1925 was named in a contest by Mrs. G.F. Duren indicated its site between the Indian River and Atlantic Ocean.

INDIAN RIVER (County of): The sixty-fifth county was established May 30, 1925 and named after the Indian River, which flows through it.

INGLIS (Town of): Originally known as Blind Horse, this Citrus County town was named after Scottish ship Captain John Inglis who established a settlement at the mouth of the Withlacoochee River at the Gulf of Mexico.

INVERNESS (Town of): A Scotch settler gave the name of the Scottish Northern Highlands to this Citrus County town on the shores of Lake Tsala Apopka. It is the county seat.


"La Floridiana" is ©2004 by William Moriaty.  Webpage design and all graphics herein (except where otherwise noted) are creations of Nolan B. Canova.  All contents of Nolan's Pop Culture Review are ©2004 by Nolan B. Canova.