Happy to report that my son, Phillip, is back home and doing better. A little sore and cranky, but I'll take that any day!
WHAT'S IT MEAN
Author J.K. Rowling has revealed the title of the next Harry Potter book, "Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince." Like George Lucas, Rowling likes to throw out titles before finishing writing the story. Unlike Lucas, she knows how to write.
IT'S NOT A LAW, DAMMIT!
Smacking of some behind the scene string pulling, the MPAA recently refused to let the producers of "Fahrenheit 9/11" use a direct quote from critic Richard Roeper in it's advertising. Roeper raved that "Everyone must see this movie!" The MPAA reasoned that, since the film is rated R, not everyone CAN see the movie, so the quote would be misleading. The quote was shortened to ".....must see....." In a related story, several independent theatre owners have loosened their R rating policies to allow teenagers to see the film. Remember folks, it's a guideline not a law!
In discussing Alfred Molina and his characterization of Doc Ock in "Spider-Man 2," USA Today came up with their list of the 10 greatest villains in movies. They are:
1. Darth Vader (David Prowse/James Earl Jones) - "Star Wars"
2. Norman Bates (Anthony Perkins) - "Psycho"
3. Bruce the shark - "Jaws"
4. Hannibal Lecter (Anthony Hopkins)- "Silence of the Lambs"
5. Nurse Ratchet (Louise Fletcher)- "One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest"
6. Hal 9000 - "2001: A Space Odyssey"
7. Jack Torrance - "The Shining"
8. Alex Forrest (Glenn Close) - "Fatal Attraction"
9. The Hillbillies (Bill McKinney and Herbert Coward) - "Deliverance
10. Freddy Krueger (Robert Englund) - A Nightmare on Elm Street.
MEET THE BEATLES -- PART 23
July 6, 1962 - While performing aboard "The Fish and Chip Boat" on a Riverboat Shuffle sponsored by the Cavern Club. the lads share the bill with Mr. Acker Bilk, whose instrumental hit, "Strangers on the Shore," is still in the top 10 after 6 months in release. During the cruise, Bilk presents John, Paul, George and Pete Best with a black bowler hat.
Well, that's all for now. Have a safe and happy holiday weekend. See ya!
"Mike's Rant" is ©2004 by Michael A. Smith. Webpage design and all graphics herein are creations of Nolan B. Canova. All contents of Nolan's Pop Culture Review are ©2004 by Nolan B. Canova.